Friday, October 19, 2012

My Pinterest Fail: DIY Makeup Remover

Let's talk Pinterest again!


Pinterest is my favorite "hangout" online, and has given me SO many wonderful ideas and inspirations. It has also led me astray quite a few times. Many times the disaster was partly my own fault, but others were just a flat out nightmare waiting to happen.

Recently while browsing Pinterest, I came across a recipe for a DIY eye makeup remover that seemed so simple and budget friendly. My current supply of makeup remover was almost out, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try.

The recipe called for:
1c water
1 1/2 Tbsp baby shampoo (tear free)
1/8 tsp Baby oil

*Note* Baby oil is not necessarily the best thing to use on your face and is not recommended for people with oily skin. You can easily substitute the baby oil for olive oil. I continued with baby oil because this recipe calls for such a miniscule amount, and also my skin is naturally dry.

So away I went, mixing the three ingredients in hopes of an awesome and cheap makeup remover.


After mixing the ingredients, here is what the final result looked like:


Seemed simple enough. I waited long enough for the bubbles to settle and then grabbed a cotton ball to try the solution out. I still had a good bit of yesterdays eye makeup on, and I needed to remove it before my shower. (I don't always take it off before I sleep...I'm bad, I know!)

Well folks, I got nothin'. 
Hardly any makeup at all came off when I wiped with the cotton ball and solution.
I was so disappointed!

I'm going to go back to the drawing board and tweak the recipe a bit and see if I can get it to work. I'd love to not have to go buy an expensive bottle of eye makeup remover.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make this work? Perhaps you have your own recipe and you'd like to share it! I'd love to hear from you!

While you're at it, follow me on Pinterest and see what I'm pinning! 
I'm always looking for something new to try!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! Maybe shake it really good and immediately try the solution? I buy the stuff from Mary Kay (it's one of 2 MK products I loyally purchase). It's expensive, but I have yet to find anything better.

    ReplyDelete